Saturday, June 19, 2010

Cocoa Ricotta Creme

I recently lost some weight. A decent amount of weight actually - nearly 25 pounds. I did it using the South Beach Diet principles. I have found this lifestyle to be easy and delicious. While I have read that most people have a lot of trouble sticking to Phase 1 because of how strict it is, I found it very easy, especially knowing it was only supposed to last two weeks. Well, I did it for a month and a half and I didn't cheat once. Now, I eat pretty much what I want, but the thing is, I don't crave any of the processed foods that helped me pack on the pounds in the first place.

Here is a favorite, super-duper easy dessert for Phase 1. And if I'm perfectly honest, I use it as a super light lunch - though I don't recommend eating it alone as there is little nutritional value, and you want to fuel your body, not just appease your sweet tooth). OK. Stepping down from my pulpit now.

Also, there are no pictures because, truthfully, I was really hungry. :)

Ingredients
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (we got ours on our honeymoon, but regular vanilla extract is fine)
- 1 package sugar substitute (I used generic Sweet n' Low)
- a dash of Chocolate sprinkles (optional)

Directions
(i) Mix together the ricotta, cocoa powder, vanilla, sugar substitute and chocolate sprinkles in a dessert bowl - I just use a spoon, though I imagine a mixer would smooth out the texture of the ricotta. (ii) Serve chilled.

I highly suggest using a dash of sprinkles (or even a few mini chocolate chips) because it adds a much-needed crunch to the some times odd texture of ricotta. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Senegal Daily said...

Hmm... I may have to look into this SBD thing. Heard of it, but never really read up on it.

Thanks for sharing the tip and the recipe.