Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chicken with Black Bean Sauce

So, I found this craptastic Chicken with Black Bean Sauce recipe on the Epicurious site (great site, crappy recipe!). It is from Bon Appétit magazine's December 1990 issue. And that is where it should have stayed.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was that this recipe did not taste good. So bland. And it combined some of my favorite ingredients! In fact, the only thing it was good for was helping me practice my onion chopping skills.


Mmmmm...onions.

You can find the black bean sauce necessary for this recipe in the oriental section of your supermarket. Not that I am suggesting you actually make this recipe.

Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • Pepper
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons purchased oriental black bean sauce
  • Steamed rice

    Directions:
    Combine teriyaki sauce and garlic in medium bowl. Add chicken and season generously with pepper. Refrigerate 30 minutes.

    Heat oil in wok or heavy large skillet over high heat. Add bell pepper and onion and cook until onion is almost tender, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes. Add chicken with marinade and black bean sauce. Stir until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Serve over steamed rice.


    It looks good, doesn't it? Don't be deceived!

    Has anyone ever made a good Chicken with Black Bean Sauce? I'd love the recipe!
  • 1 comment:

    Abby said...

    I don't care how bad you think it is... right now, I'd eat it!